This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons

Sunday, April 27, 2008

AFI meme, for procrastinators (which I am and always will be)

via Some Have Hats

The meme requires going to the AFI List of 100 greatest movies which is here, and then answering the following questions.

Your favorite 5 movies that are on the list
:
Aw man! Do I have to pick five? Seriously, I love a lot of these movies. Does that make me terribly mainstream? Tough shit, I am terribly mainstream and proud of it. These are "The 5 I have to pick because the meme said pick 5":

Gone With the Wind
The Godfather
Casablanca
It's a Wonderful Life
Bringing Up Baby

(but it could have just as easily been Network, The Wizard of Oz, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Rear Window, and The Maltese Falcon) (or it could have been Star Wars, Some Like It Hot, The Godfather part II, Fantasia, and Fargo) (or it could have been. . . okay, I'll stop)

5 movies on the list that you didn't like at all:

E.T. the extra-terrestrial
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

(I've seen most of the movies on the list, and other than the five I have no desire in seeing, and these two, I've liked pretty much all of the ones I've seen, in varying degrees, of course. The list, despite it's so-called "safe"-ness, consists of a good set of movies, for the most part, and includes a number of true, enduring classics. If nothing else, my satisfaction with most of the movies on the list should be evidence enough of my middle-brow tastes -- tastes I happily and unashamedly hold. But yeah, I never liked E.T., even when I was a kid.)

5 movies on the list you haven't seen but want to:

Amadeus
The Apartment
The Manchurian Candidate
King Kong
Duck Soup

5 movies on the list you haven't seen and have no interest in seeing
:
It's not even that these movies look bad or anything. In fact, if I watched them, I'd probably think they were at least pretty good. But for whatever reason, these movies look boring. Don't ask me why, even in the case of 2001 and M*A*S*H where I like the genres and the directors, but I'm just not that interested. It's a weird phenomenon that I suffer from, where certain movies, despite seeming to be very much in my wheelhouse, hold absolutely no appeal for me. For instance: In general, I like Kevin Smith's movies. But Clerks? Never seen it. And I don't really want to. Don't ask me to explain. I'm just not that interested. Anyhoo:

The Deer Hunter
Platoon
Midnight Cowboy
2001: A Space Odyssey
M*A*S*H

Your favorite 5 movies that aren't on the list:

In a Lonely Place
The Strawberry Blonde
Notorious
The Thin Man
Ball of Fire

No comments: